Sunday, May 17, 2009

Travel and First Day




Well,

I had the worst trip ever, like the worst 24hrs EVER. First of all, I spent the 1st 14 hours to Abu Dhabi stuck next to someone who already managed to take up more than their whole seat on the plane (and a little bit of mine) and didn't mind a chat. Whilst I don't mind a chat on the plane, I am not generally interested in your opinion on anything, especially on how loud the children are on the plane, particularly when you are going to snore loudly later on.

Anyway, needless to say I did not get 1sec of sleep on the 14 hours to Abu Dhabi. After a 2 hour stop there, I had another 8 hours to Paris, which was a much more pleasant trip, and I actually managed to sleep (a whole 3 hours) on this flight, so when I arivved in Paris at 7:30 am, I had managed to have about 3 hours sleep in the preceeding 30 hours. Je suis fatigue.

Thankfully, Rachel made it to the airport, and despite my extreme tirdness, I was far to keen and enthusiastic to want to have too much sleep, and I wanted to get out and explore the town. That being said, I still needed a wee lie down. After a trip in from the airport on the train, and then onto the metro, we arrived in the lovely 13th Arrondisment, which will be our home for the next 3 months.

Its very quaint, with nice cobblestone streets, and older type buildings and lots of cool little shops and boutiques. I couldnt sleep for too long, and we headed out on the metro into town for some lunch. We had lunch at a nice French bistro, and wandered around a bit, and then jumped on the metro to head back home, as I was starting to feel the effects of lack of sleep. When we got home, I climbed straight into bed, and was out like a light, next thing I knew it was 4 hours later, and time for dinner.

I picked a good day to come, as that particular evening they had this thing that they have once a month over here well all of the museums and gallaries are open at night and are free. We decided to take ourselves off to the Louvre as I have heard some terrible stories of people queuing for hours to get inside. When we got there there were a hell of a lot of people there, but we went straight in, and started wandering around. Sadly there is just so much to see, and my tiredness combined with my short attention span meant that we quickly wandered through everywhere (mind you it still took 2 1/2 hours) but we saw all of the important stuff.

1 comment: